Date:      Sun, 30 Sep 2007 10:53:04 +0330
From:      "Bahman M." <b.movaqar@adempiere.org>
To:        "Brian A. Seklecki" <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to restart a freezed tty?

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 00:09:40 -0400 "Brian A. Seklecki"
<lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 2007-09-29 at 13:16 +0330, Bahman M. wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > For some reason all the ttys are frozen up; I can switch between X
> > and them back and forth but not between the ttys themselves using
> > ALT+Fn.
>
> Can you start new xterms?  When you say 'frozen', do they "not accept
> keyboard input"?  Is it possible scroll-lock is enabled?  What about
> the TTY that you started Xorg from?
>
> Is this temporal? When did it start happening?
>
> Is there anything in /var/log/messages?

Good questions; I should have explained the situation a bit more.

I can start as many xterm as I'd like to.  In fact when I'm in X
everything is alright.

I was doing some ports compilation on ttyv2 and
in the midst of that I remembered I forgot to pass a switch to compiler.
I pressed CTRL+C and it stopped but ttyv2 also stopped responding to any
keyboard events (even the mouse doesn't appear there).

Now when I switch to ttyvn by pressing ALT+Fn, it always switches
to ttyv2 with the same text shown as the moment it stopped working.

I killed all the ttyvn processes.  They terminated and restarted as
expected.  Now they all have different PIDs than before but still I
can't use them.

It's the first time I'm encountering such a problem.

I looked through dmesg output or in /var/log/messages but there was
nothing unsual out there.

> Did you try: $ sudo pkill -HUP init ?

Will give it a try.

BTW, this is the my home machine just for personal use; it thus doesn't
hurt anyone if I restart the system but I'm just curious to know how
one can get out of such situation.

> > I tried killing them; they terminate and restart but still
> > frozen.  I don't believe the only way out is to restart the system.
> >
> > How to make ttys behave normally?  I'd appreciate any idea.
> > FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE-p7
> > xorg-7.2
> > fluxbox-1.0rc3_3

Thanks,