Date:      Tue, 21 Apr 1998 17:27:59 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The "Anti-GPL"

On Tue, Apr 21, 1998 at 09:19:24AM -0600, Brett Glass wrote:
> I had an interesting discussion with some friends who
> are Linux "fanatics" last night. They said that the *BSDs
> will naturally never do as well as Linux, because the GPL
> "locks" code into the GNU model. That is to day, the Linux
> folks can take code from FreeBSD, add their own, and
> "copyleft" the result -- at which point it can't be
> published again under the less restrictive Berkeley license.
> (And to think that the Linux folks claim that *others*
> "take code hostage.")

This is not allowed by the GPL.  The GPL explictly forbids more
restrictions than the GPL itself place on the code; thus, such code in
not re-distributable.

> Of course, I don't want to *call* it the "Anti-GPL," though that's
> my working name.... I'd like it to call it something like the "truly
> free software" license.

> Or something even more catchy. Any ideas for names?

> For provisions that should be included in the license?

Just include a statement that 'derivate works may not be placed under
a license which deny binary distribution without source availability,
or place restrictions on binary distribution that make this
impractical.' or somesuch - that should be enough, I think.

Eivind.