Date:      Wed, 02 Aug 2000 08:23:57 -0400
From:      Robert Withrow <bwithrow@nortelnetworks.com>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        "Vladimir N. Silyaev" <vsilyaev@mindspring.com>, emulation@FreeBSD.ORG, bwithrow@engeast.BayNetworks.COM
Subject:   Re: VMware port stability

Nothing worse than complaining users, right?   ;-)

I also am *ecstatic* about the work you have done to get VMWare running.
I think you deserver to be awarded, at least, a free (large) Chuck doll!

(Actually, I think VMWare should hire you to do *official* FBSD support!)

The latest VMWare port in the ports tree (the one with the Makefile
with version 1.19) runs *fine* on 4.0 REL *with* host-only networking.
Using NAT one can get that to look just like bridged networking, or
(as I use it) you can have the VM share your host OSs address.

I think this is a valuable thing to support!  There will be a number
of users who will want to run VMWare who will not be upgrading to
4.n (n > 0) for some time, for whatever reason.  It would be a real
shame to unnecessarily remove VMWare from the list of things they
can run.

Now, your suggestion to just update the port to fetch the newer bits
from VMWare when they change is a reasonable one, except that it is
possible that future VMWare changes might require changes to your
OS shim layer code.  Likewise there might be bug fixes or other
stuff in your shim code (vmmon) that would help 4.0 REL users if
they were made available.

So I guess what I am suggesting would be best for the users is:

  1) have just *one* port that works for all versions of FreeBSD with
  v >= 4.0 Rel.  Looking at the makefile it seems like this should
  relatively straightforward, although the vmnet part would be a pain.

  2) Have a designated and labeled 4.0 port that would track changes
  in VMWare and fix bugs in the underlying support code.

I know that this would make extra work for you, and that you don't have
resources (machines, time, etc) to do this all yourself.  I'll volunteer
to test releases on 4.0 Rel (since we will have 4.0 machines running
here for at least the next 6 months), and help with debugging etc.  I'm
guessing other users would be willing to help out also.

Again, thanks for all your good work.  This tool is an incredible
FreeBSD productivity enhancer!

--
Robert Withrow -- (+1 978 288 8256)
BWithrow@BayNetworks.com