Date:      Thu, 27 Feb 1997 06:04:34 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
Cc:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, kmitch@weenix.guru.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: forwarding broadcast packets between interfaces

>> On Wed, 26 Feb 1997, Keith Mitchell wrote:
>>
>> > Is there any way to forward broadcast packets between interfaces??
>> >
>> > I would like to be able to browse the windows machines on the other side
>> > of the gateway with a windows machine behind the gateway.  The problem is
>> > the windows machine doesn't get the broadcasts so it doesn't know they are
>> > there.  Otherwise, it can connect to them fine.  It is using Netbios over
>> > TCPIP (NetBT).
>> >
>> > Also, it would be nice if I could echo the rwho packets to the local subnet
>> > as well.
>>
>> Perhaps; try setting gateway=YES in /etd/sysconfig then add the proper
>> routes.
>
>No, this won't work. broadcasts are UDP packets which are not routed by
>a gateway (normally). There may be a way to tell the kernel (with an option)
>to do UDP routing. I remember that Garrett (or David Greenman) once gave me
>that tip.

   Broadcasts have nothing to do with UDP packets other than a UDP packet,
like any other IP packet, may or may not be sent to a broadcast address.
It is true that packets sent to the broadcast address are not routed through
the gateway, and aside from creative mis-configuration, there isn't any way
you can get the gateway to pass them through, either.

-DG

David Greenman