Date:      Wed, 18 Jul 2007 09:33:19 +0700 (ICT)
From:      Olivier Nicole <on@cs.ait.ac.th>
To:        youshi10@u.washington.edu
Cc:        dmehler26@woh.rr.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cron job every 5 hours

>     Something like:
>
>     minute */5 * * * root path/to/scriptname
>
>     will do the trick.
>
>     Substitute the * in */5 for your desired start time (* being 0).
>
> -Garrett
>
> PS crond won't do 5 hours and every x number of minutes per job (5 hours
> + x mins from end to start), just a flat amount of time (5 hours apart
> from start to start). If you need that type of 'precision', at will
> solve that like Olivier said if you place it at the end of the command.

I am afraid not.

*/5 means on every hours that is a multiple of 5, not every five
 hours. So it will run every day at hour 0, 5, 10, 15 and 20. Between
 hour 20 one day and hour 0 the next day there is only 4 hours, not
 the "every 5 hours" requested.

Just to confirm that I launched a cron job yesterday:

23 */5 * * * /home/java/on/crontest

It ran at 15:23, 20:23 and today at 0:23 and 5:23 and so on: