Date:      Tue, 3 May 2005 11:08:19 -1000
From:      Clifton Royston <cliftonr@tikitechnologies.com>
To:        "Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC" <chad@shire.net>
Subject:   Re: swap space

On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 03:02:11PM -0600, Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:
> On May 3, 2005, at 2:45 PM, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> >Since it's a pain to add swap later you want to make
> >allowances for future expansion (e.g. you'd need 32GB of swap if you
> >ever plan to add 32GB of RAM).
>
> I understand that people recommend as much swap as you have ram or
> more.  However, is this required and why?

  It's needed if you want to be able to collect a crash dump if the
system panics.

> I have a dual opteron
> system running i386 5.3-release (with released patches) and it has
> 4GB RAM and only 2GB of swap, which is hardly ever touched, and when
> it is, just in small amounts.

  That's as it should be!

> Why is this a problem?  (If it ever needs the 2gb of swap I am in
> trouble as the load at that time would be sky high and the machine
> not really responsive anyway)

  Yes indeed, you do not want to be running your system with full swap.
You want it only for emergencies.

  -- Clifton

--
          Clifton Royston  --  cliftonr@tikitechnologies.com
         Tiki Technologies Lead Programmer/Software Architect