Date:      Fri, 19 Jul 2002 12:26:14 -0400
From:      "Michael R. Wayne" <wayne@staff.msen.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Enabling passive FTP on FreeBSD 4.5?

Having recently fought IPFW on this, and having a hard time finding
actual firewall rules to make FTP work right on a server that
provides FTP access to the world, here is what we ended up with
which appears to properly permit active and passive FTP.

    # FTP/ftp
    $fwcmd add 12501 pass tcp from any to ${ip} 20 setup      # FTP-data
    $fwcmd add 12505 pass tcp from any to ${ip} 21 setup keep-state
    $fwcmd add 12507 pass tcp from any to ${ip} 49152-65535 setup # Passive FTP

Watching the logs, people are managing to successfully ftp regularly.

Yes, it's a hole.  No, we don't like that last rule as someone
could remotely spawn a shell on one of those ports.  But we see no
way around it as ftp access is a required service for the machine.

/\/\ \/\/