Date:      Mon, 18 Mar 2002 15:32:38 -0500
From:      "Richard E. Hawkins" <dochawk@psu.edu>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   when manpages collide with system (lf95 fortran)

Linux fortran compilers generally install everything in

/usr/local/distname

complete with bin/ and man/ directories, and a setup script which
modifies PATH and MANPATH to include these.

It's my inclination to keep this structure, both due to the likelihood
of collisions between vendors if multiple compilers were installed, and
I've now discovered that a man page for rc (a resource compiler) would
conflict wiht the man page for rc (configuration).

I've hit the glitch that the setup script contains:

if ($?MANPATH == 0) setenv MANPATH ''
setenv MANPATH /usr/local/lf9561/manuals/man/ssl2:$MANPATH
setenv MANPATH /usr/local/lf9561/manuals/man/lf95:$MANPATH

This may work in linux, but my default setup results in my not having a
MANPATH set, and thus the regular manpages become unavailable.

I could hardwire these into the conditional, but I suspect that it's
possible to have manpages in different locations depending on country
and the DISTDIR variable for ports.

What would be the "correct" way to handle this?

hawk

--
Richard E. Hawkins, Asst. Prof. of Economics    /"\   ASCII ribbon campaign
dochawk@psu.edu  Smeal 178  (814) 375-4700      \ /   against HTML mail