Date:      Fri, 8 Nov 1996 20:39:27 +1100 (EST)
From:      Julian Assange <proff@suburbia.net>
To:        sos@freebsd.org
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: patches for nice text modes (170x48x16 etc) (syscons.c)

> OK, I'll just inform that this is not the way it will be done in
> the official syscons. I have discussed this with Julian, but he
> hasn't the time to change this to the proposed interface (which
> isn't in the official sources yet).

Your "proposed interface" doesn't work, and never will work without
substantial modifications.  Despite my [previously stated] objections to
it I actually tried very hard implimenting the patch as an lkm using
your new sc_user_ioctl() hook as you insisted. It was simply impossible,
given the variables used and routines that are called when the screen is
(physically) resized.

It is beyond me, that you insist that something so fundemental to the
opperations of the console as changing the number of rows/cols on the
screen should be a module. Even so, I would be accepting of your decision if
your interface was actually capable of doing the job.

As I recall my final words on the matter were that you should convert my
patch to your [moving target] interface.

I'd have thought the maintainer of syscons would have been delighted to
see a patch that substantially increased functionality. All I have got
out of it is negativity, complications and a complete waste of my time.

If this is FreeBSD evangelism, God save us.

--
"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely  exercised for the good of its victims
 may be the most  oppressive.  It may be better to live under  robber barons