Date:      Thu, 11 Dec 1997 14:11:08 +0800
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        michael dorin <mike@chaski.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cheap cheap 4mm tape drive wanted

On Wed, Dec 10, 1997 at 06:10:56PM -0600, David Kelly wrote:
> michael dorin writes:
>>
>> Where can I find a really, really, really cheap 4mm tape drive
>> that FreeBSD will be happy with?
>
> http://www.corpsys.com has had good prices on DDS drives in the past
> but I haven't seen any in the past year.

They've been offering an Archive 4586 autochange for some time now.
The current price is #379.  See more details on
http://www.corpsys.com/cgi-bin/select?282585099339485&specials&4586NPR.
I have one of these drives, and so far it's been the most reliable DDS
drive I've ever had (daily 8 hour backups for a year now).  By
contrast, the HP drives are unreliable.  You should definitely avoid
the old DDS-1 drives, which never lasted more than 6 months for me.

> After chewing up two WangDAT 3100's I've always been happy with the
> Archive drives. And I was very happy when Seagate shipped the SCSI
> programmer's guide for free when I asked for it.

You can also pick this up on the Web somewhere.  Sorry, I don't have
the URL handy.

> This is my 4326:
> (ahc0:5:0): "ARCHIVE Python 28388-XXX 4.CM" type 1 removable SCSI 2
> st0(ahc0:5:0): Sequential-Access density code 0x13,  drive empty

Is this the DDS-1 version of the autoloader?

Greg