Date:      Thu, 13 Nov 1997 13:50:39 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        "Chuck O'Donnell" <cao@bus.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /dev/speaker

Chuck O'Donnell wrote:

> Does anyone know a good way to beep the speaker from a CGI script?
>
> I found the 'pseudo-device speaker' in /sys/i386/conf/LINT, which uses the
> spkr.c driver to gain access through open("/dev/speaker", ...).
>
> Are there any other ways to access the computer speaker directly?
>
> I am not subscribed to this list so please send responses directly.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Chuck O'Donnell

define what you mean by "access the computer speaker directly"

the speaker is physically attached to the counter-timer chip.
you can program the counter to toggle the speaker at a known speed,
for a known period of time. or pulse once with a known pulse length.

That's about all.
of course htere are other tricks that can be achieved using this..
the pca device for example uses a high frequency (16kHz) carrier
which it modulates using PWM to produce a reasonable audio output.