Date:      Fri, 18 Mar 2005 13:54:20 -0500 (EST)
From:      Stuart Barkley <stuartb@4gh.net>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi+mx@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: adding a directory to a CD-image (.iso)

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 at 15:02 -0500, Mikhail Teterin wrote:

> I donwloaded an .iso-image (Solaris 10, actually), which is about
> 2.7Gb.
>
> Before burning it to a DVD, I'd like to add a directory to the
> image. Is there a way to do it with tools available on FreeBSD --
> mkisofs, growisofs, etc?
>
> I don't want to recreate the main image from scratch, as I'm sure,
> I'll get the options wrong and it will not boot :-) Can I just add a
> directory to the existing iso8859 filesystem?

I have not done this but think you should be looking into making a
multi-session DVD.  This should be easy.

Method 1 (should be easy and direct):

Just burn the original DVD image with growisofs in multi-session mode
(the default):

    growisofs -Z /dev/dvd=image.iso

You should then be able to directly add your new files with:

    growisofs -M /dev/dvd -R -J /more/files

Method 2 (probably more appropriate for a CD image):

Use mkisofs to create a second session .iso file.  Something like:

    mkisofs -o second.iso -C <something> -M image.iso -R -J /more/files

You might need to burn the first session and use burncd/cdrecord or
something to get the magic numbers for the -C option.

Stuart
--
I've never been lost; I was once bewildered for three days, but never lost!
                                        --  Daniel Boone