Date:      Sat, 26 Sep 1998 20:46:30 -0400
From:      Ben Black <black@cypher.net>
To:        dg@root.com, Tony Jones <tony@rtd.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TCP (http) problem

actually, this may be a bug in IIS4.  i have seen a problem exactly as you
describe (can't get to certain sites, those running IIS4, but everything else
works fine) when the path MTU is not the same as the MTU on the IIS4 server's
LAN.

since the smaller MTU hop was under my control, i increased the MTU and
everything worked.  whether anyone upstream was blocking icmp messages used
in path MTU discovery, i don't know.

ben

On Sat, Sep 26, 1998 at 05:33:40PM -0700, David Greenman had most eloquently written: