Date:      Wed, 21 Mar 2007 12:40:10 +0100
From:      Momchil Ivanov <idiotbg@gmail.com>
To:        "illoai@gmail.com" <illoai@gmail.com>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org

--nextPart7180962.go1HlUFsSE

=D0=9D=D0=B0 21.3.2007 07:10 =D0=BD=D0=B0=D0=BF=D0=B8=D1=81=D0=B0=D1=85=D1=
=82=D0=B5:
> On 20/03/07, Momchil Ivanov <idiotbg@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I have a strange question that has been bothering mi mind in the past 2
> > hours and it`s about legal notices. Nowadays almost everything is digit=
al
> > and there is usually some copyright/copyleft or whaterver other legal
> > notice assigned to almost every piece of bits/data (binary programs,
> > source codes, images, docs, etc...). In this way of thoughts every e-ma=
il
> > should be considered some kind of intelectual property belonging to its
> > author, shouldn't it?
> >
> > So I was thinking: should there be some kind of legal notice when
> > subscribing to a list (respectively sending an e-mail to a list, not
> > being subscribed to) that says that the author gives exclusive rights to
> > The FreeBSD Foundation to store (archive) and redistribute (the way
> > mailing lists work) e-mails being sent to the list?
> >
> > I have been thinking about this since some people use in their signatur=
es
> > texts like:
> > "You should not copy this e-mail or use it for any other purposes or
> > disclose its contents to any other person."
> >
> > Correct me if I am thinking complete nonsense, please! Mailing list have
> > been live for a long time now, but I think nowadays they need
> > subscriber's permission to redistribute, store and publish subscriber's
> > mails on the web.
> >
> > Thank you for your time reading this :)
> >
> > --
> > This correspondence is strictly confidential. Any screening, filtering
> > and/or production for the purpose of public or otherwise disclosure is
> > forbidden without written permission by the author signed above. If you
> > are not the intended recipient, please immediately notify the sender and
> > permanently delete any copies
>
> This sort of nonsense should probably be on chat@
> rather than doc@.
>
> It is as silly as:
>
> By reading this message you agree to pay me $4500
> cash within the next 10 days or relenquish title to your
> house.

Usually when you register somewhere, you have to click on a checkbox statin=
g=20
that you accept the terms and conditions for using your registration. What =
I=20
mean is that we should have something like this for the mailing lists. For=
=20
example: when you subscribe to a mailing list you click on a checkbox to=20
allow redistribution and storage of your email.

Sending your content to a mail list is like sending your content to=20
youtube/youporn or whatever, the only difference is that usually the former=
=20
is in the form of readable text. Nevertheless, both are published on the we=
b.

http://www.freebsd.org/copyright/
Most of the things on the FreeBSD's web site have some copyright, excluding=
=20
mail lists' archives. We should say something about that content too, don`t=
=20
you thnik?

Maybe I missed something somewhere, maybe I`m completely wrong, but that`s=
=20
what I think, what about you?

=2D-=20

PGP KeyID: 0x3118168B
Keyserver: pgp.mit.edu
Key fingerprint BB50 2983 0714 36DC D02E  158A E03D 56DA 3118 168B