Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 2002 20:16:47 -0600
From:      "Craig Boston" <craig@xfoil.gank.org>
To:        "The Anarcat" <anarcat@anarcat.ath.cx>
Cc:        <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: -stable build on -current

> Hello!

> Can 5.x properly cross-buildworld a 4.x source tree?

I've tried this once when downgrading a not-so-stable -CURRENT (SMP) box to
a hopefully-more-stable -STABLE box.  I remember running into problems with
gcc 3.x failing to compile gcc 2.95 and some C++ related things.  I ended up
unpacking a 4.7 distribution from the CD into a chroot environment and
running buildworld in there.  IIRC, this produced a usable world/kernel that
could be installed.

Craig