Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 2006 19:07:13 +0300
From:      Chris Dionissopoulos <dionch@freemail.gr>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: multiple DSL modems and pppoe sessions on the same ethernet ?

Hello Luigi,

> hi,
> i am trying to run, on a single FreeBSD box, multiple (3 in my case)
> pppoe instances talking to as many DSL modems on the same ethernet cable
>
>     ------+--------------+--------------+--------------+-----
>           |              |              |              |
>           +-[modem1]     +-[modem2]     +-[modem3]     +-[FreeBSD/ppp]
>               DSL#1          DSL#2          DSL#3

> Ideally, in /etc/ppp/ppp.conf i can write something like
>
>     modem1:
>         set device PPPoE:rl0:dsl1
>
>     modem2:
>         set device PPPoE:rl0:dsl2
>
>     modem3:
>         set device PPPoE:rl0:dsl3

> Any better ideas ?
>
>         cheers
>         luigi

if your switch supports vlan and 802.1q encapsulation, you would create
3 different vlans (100,200,300) with one port each and plug each
modem, then,  a trunk port with 3 vlans encapsulated (AKA tagged)
and plug rl0 interface.

then create vlan100,vlan200,vlan300 in physical rl0.
and do the same ppp config:

     modem1:
         set device PPPoE:vlan100:dsl1

     modem2:
         set device PPPoE:vlan200:dsl2

     modem3:
         set device PPPoE:vlan300:dsl3

another approach is to use 3 ng_ether interfaces with custom mac
addresses defined and linked to the same ng_bridge node with physical:

rl0:upper-------|    |-----upper:ngeth0
rl0:lower----ng_bridge-----lower:ngeth0
              | | |  |-----lower:ngeth1
              | | |--------upper:ngeth1
              | |----------lower:ngeth0
              |------------upper:ngeth1

and use (only) ngeth0,ngeth1,ngeth2 as pppoe devices in ppp.conf.

All untested and just in theory only.
Let us know your experiences.

--
Best regards,