Date:      Thu, 12 Apr 2001 00:19:51 -0700
From:      David Bushong <david@bushong.net>
To:        Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nVidia Cards /w FreeBSD (3D Acceleration)

On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 01:55:43PM +1000, Kal Torak wrote:
> Ok, so far we have 3 possible paths to take :)
>
> 1) Group mail thing, with your cards serials etc send to nVidia
> asking them to please pretty please port there drivers to FreeBSD
> (Since they cant give us the source for legal reasons)
>
> 2) Individual mails to nVidia asking the same thing...
>
> 3) Port the kernel module and use linux compat for the rest...

Regarding #3, little note:  I don't believe any linux compat would be involved
at all.  The "module" for XFree86 4 should be architecture-specific, but
OS neutral (i.e. you have to be running i386, but it doesn't care if you're
using linux, freebsd, darwin, etc)  The kernel module, if ported, would have
to be FreeBSD-native.

The only linux-compat usage would come in if you wanted to play all of those
binary-only games that probably started this whole discussion, in which case
you'd have to build a linux libGL.so to talk via DRI to your FreeBSD XFree86,
which I believe /usr/ports/graphics/linux_glx does for you.

Just some tidbits.

--David Bushong