Date:      Tue, 22 Jun 1999 07:06:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      mwlucas@exceptionet.com
To:        madrapour@hotmail.com (N.N.M)
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question: Preventing Smurf

To test if it works, ping your subnet's broadcast address (i.e.,
a.b.c.255).  If you're not sure of the broadcast, an ifconfig -a will give
it to you.

The machine won't respond to a broadcast ping.  This will prevent you from
being a smurf relay.

A more effective method would be to block broadcast pings at the router to
your network.  Check your router's documentation or mfg. web site for
exact instructions.

Regards,
==ml

> Hi,
>
> Is it enough to do "sysctl -w net.inet.icmp.bmcastecho=0" to prevent being
> Smurf Intermediary? And if so, how can I check it to get sure if it is ok?
> I did the above change, but my freebsd box still responses to ping (from a
> pc on the same Ehternet) to broadcast address. Is it normal?
>
> thanks,
> Nazila M.

Michael Lucas			|
Exceptionet, Inc.		|	www.exceptionet.com