Date:      Fri, 26 Nov 1999 22:44:12 +0100 (CET)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        gallatin@cs.duke.edu (Andrew Gallatin)
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Miata support

As Andrew Gallatin wrote ...

> Wilko Bulte writes:
>  > I'm looking for opinions on the Miata machines. PWS433a to be exact.
>  > Any good/bad experiences to report?
>  >
>  > TIA,
>  > Wilko
>
> Yes.  Both good and bad.
>
> There are at least 2 revs of Miatas, but there is no labeling
> difference for you to be able to tell them apart.  The fact that they
> have identical model numbers is due to Microsoft -- they would have
> had to re-certify the the platform for NT with Microsoft if they had
> changed the model number.

Well... the newer ones should have a trailing -Px (x is a number) and
the early ones a trailing -Rx on their part# sticker (should be on the
cabinet somewhere).  At least that is what I once  found somewhere on
the WWW (I think).

Maybe you can check if that matches with your machine?

> The earlier miatas have a horribly buggy pci chipset which cannot do

Is that an early Pyxis chipset?

> DMA Reads across page boundaries and which is prone to lockup under heavy
> PCI I/O.  They do not allow 'unknown' PCI cards into the 64-bit PCI
> slot (you can override this, but it is a pain).  They are very picky
> about what graphics cards they will accept.  However, if you have a
> graphics card which works in the machine & are not planning on running
> anything very I/O intesive (gig ether, myrinet, multiple U/W SCSI
> channels, etc), then you'll probably be OK.

Hmm.

> These earlier miatas are characterized by having the Qlogic SCSI
> adaptor as an actual PCI card.  They have an Intel PCI/ISA bridge & a
> CMD IDE adapter.  They do not have USB ports.

Hmm (again).

> The later models have a much improved rev of the chipset & most PCI
> problems are gone. They have onboard Qlogic SCSI, a Cypress PCI/ISA
> bridge, a Cypress IDE controller, and have USB support.  The only
> disadvantage to these machines is that we don't support the Cypress
> IDE chipset very well.  I have failed (but not tried very hard) to
> make it do busmaster DMA using the ATA drivers.

I'm a SCSI addict so I don't care too much about IDE.

Thanks,