Date:      Thu, 7 Mar 1996 15:24:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>
To:        "Garrett A. Wollman" <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        Craig Shrimpton <craigs@venus.os.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can someone tell me what this kernel message means?

> It is a number that starts at .75*(3600 s) and goes down by 25% every
> ten minutes until there are either less than 128 unreferenced entries
> in the per-host cache, or the value gets down to 10 s.  You need to
> think about how many different systems regularly start TCP connections
> to your machine and what sort of performance-memory tradeoff you want
> to make, and adjust these MIB variables accordingly:
>
> net.inet.ip.rtexpire: 3600
> net.inet.ip.rtminexpire: 10
> net.inet.ip.rtmaxcache: 128

Hmmm.  Well, I appreciate having the MIB variables, but what are the
tradeoffs memory wise?  How do these variables play in a very dynamic IP
shop vs. a single machine?  What kind of settings should be on a popular
nameserver/webserver vs a single user box?

I'm just curious, because I get these messages all the time on my mail,
www, and name servers, and don't know if it's really bad or good, or
whether it would help if some of these were changed.