Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 2002 14:08:39 -0400
From:      Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
To:        Randy Smith <randys@amigo.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vinum question

On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 10:47:02AM -0600, Randy Smith wrote:

=> I ran newfs -v on it when I first created the volume on vinumdisk0. I
=> didn't do it when I attached the second subdisk. (The volume has been in
=> use a while and wiping the FS is not really an option.)
=>
=> vinum(8) says that "It is possible to increase the size of a concatenated
=> vinum plex ..." so I would think that it could handle it. Maybe I'm wrong.

Enlarging a plex will give it more raw space, but the existing
filesystem will still be the same maximum size.  You need to use
growfs(8) to make the actual filesystem use the newly-added space, if
you don't want to dump/newfs/restore.  See the growfs man page for
details and caveats.

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu