Date:      Wed, 1 Sep 1999 10:30:01 +0800 (PHT)
From:      "Francis A. Vidal" <francis@usls.edu>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Dave Walton <walton@nordicrecords.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rearranging files

On Wed, 1 Sep 1999, Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Tuesday, 31 August 1999 at 18:49:13 -0700, Dave Walton wrote:
> > What is the best way to move everything from one partition (not
> > slice) to another, larger partition?  I was looking at 'cp -pR', but that
> > doesn't quite do it right - hard-linked files become multiple copies.
>
> tar will do this correctly.  But the version in -STABLE and -RELEASE
> can't handle devices with large minor numbers.

there's an example in the manpage of tar.

	tar cf - . | (cd /some/where; tar xf -)

> No, that's the way they're allocated.  But I have great doubts that
> you need even as many partitions as you have.

is there a limit to the maximum partition? if there is, how do you
increase the limit?

--
francis vidal   university of st. la salle, bacolod city, philippines
. . . . . . .   PGP key available via e-mail / subject: get PGP key