Date:      Mon, 06 Aug 2001 08:45:01 +1000
From:      "Phil Lipski" <phil_lipski@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        eric@monkey-online.net
Subject:   Re: IPFilter, no such process?

Eric

After cvsup'ing to the prerelease version, I had
exactly the same problem. I also couldn't
contact that box by anything other than at the
console. I mucked around a bit with the configuration
and in absolute desperation even resorted to reading
UPDATING.

For me, the problem was not having miibus compiled into
the kernelfor an ed0 interface. I recompiled the
kernel, then userland,changed some config files back to
what they were before I stuffed them around and all was
well with the world.

<sarcasm> FWIW, this problem stems from the way the
naming system of the tree is done. If it was changed
from -PRERELEASE
to -DontEvenTryToDoThisUnlessYouHaveRTFM*And*Updating,YouMoron
it would have been much clearer.</sarcasm>

Ciao