Date:      Mon, 2 Aug 1999 00:50:14 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Kevin Day <toasty@dragondata.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mountpoint locking with fbsd-nfs

Matthew Dillon scribbled this message on Aug 1:
> :Yeah, I know about -alldirs... The problem was that we had customers who
> :wanted us to export their home directories, and unless I gave them their own
> :filesystem, I couldn't restrict it in the manner i wanted. :)
> :
> :Just checking to see that I wasn't missing a way to do this. :)
>
>     I've never in my life tried this - it probably won't work, but ...
>     use the null device maybe to create a mount point for each home
>     dir and then export that?

do you guys ever read the man page??

read the following about 10 times... it is hard to understand, but make
sure you know what it says, not what you THINK is says...   this is from
exports(5):
                                        A host may be specified only once for
     each local filesystem on the server and there may be only one default en-
     try for each server filesystem that applies to all other hosts.  The lat-
     ter exports the filesystem to the ``world'' and should be used only when
     the filesystem contains public information.

so,  if you want to export /var and /var/tmp both on the same file
system to the same host, it would be:
/var /var/tmp				somehost

because of this, I organize my /etc/exports file by file system and then
by host...  so I do stuff like:

#all of my /usr exports
/usr /usr/local		hosta
/usr /usr/X11R6		hostb
/usr/local	-ro

#all of my /a exports
/a			hostc
/a /a/datadir		hostd

--
  John-Mark Gurney                              Voice: +1 541 684 8449
  Cu Networking					  P.O. Box 5693, 97405

  "The soul contains in itself the event that shall presently befall it.
  The event is only the actualizing of its thought." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson