Date:      Thu, 22 Apr 1999 13:00:54 +1000
From:      Andrew Johns <A_Johns@TurnAround.com.au>
To:        Doug Poland <dpoland@execpc.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Allocating contiguous memory with 3.1-RELEASE

Doug Poland wrote:

> Hello all...
>
> I'm still trying to install Sybase (for Linux) on FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE.
> My latest problem seems to be my inability to allocate a large,
> contiguous chunk of physical memory.  The Sybase documentation says I
> need about 15MB to load the Sybase kernel,  and I quote...
>
>         "For SQL Server to run, the operating system kernel must be
>         configured to allow allocation of a shared memory segment
>         at least as large as the SQL Server total memory parameter,
>         which defaults to 15MB (7500 2K pages)."
>
> How does one go about this in FreeBSD?   BTW, I have 48MB RAM.

Quoting from your mail "allocation of a *SHARED* memory segment".

You'll need to recompile your kernel and add:

options SYSVSHM

AND then add an additional line to set the parameters required -
you'll need to see LINT for these - I don't remember them off the top
of my head.

HTH
--
Regards                        |    _/\_/\
Andrew Johns BSc (Comp Sci)    |   /      \

"The box said 'Requires Windows 95, NT, or better,' so I installed
FreeBSD."