Date:      Mon, 05 Apr 1999 16:42:04 -0700
From:      bmah@CA.Sandia.GOV (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: palm-pilot guys

--==_Exmh_335620428P

If memory serves me right, Chuck Robey wrote:

> I see an ad for a Palm IIIx, and supposedly they actually have them and
> can ship today.  They list a couple of different options, and I'd
> appreciate a comment about, well, if I need them, or if they're fluff.

I don't have a IIIx, but I've had a III for a long time.  Very nice
replacement for the scraps of paper I used to keep everything on.

> There's options of a 3 pack replacement styluses,

There's two styluses (styli?) that come with it...one is plastic and one is
metal.  I lost the metal one after about a month (it's so heavy, it falls out
of the case).  I'm currently using a third-party metal stylus.

> leather carrying case
> (I think this one's really unneeded, unless they're fragile),

It comes with a flip-top to protect the screen (think of the communicators on
the old Star Trek).

> modem
> cable,

For connecting to an external modem...sounds like you don't need this.

> AC adaptor (do they use a commonly available voltage, like one I
> can get at Radio Shack?)

For the modem.  The Palm III and IIIx use "normal" AAA batteries.  Palm V uses
rechargeables that recharge through the cradle.

> PalmIII cradle windows (this one's a complete
> mystery to me),

An extra cradle to hook up to another PC (as opposed to a Mac).  You get one
with the original unit.  If you might be hooking up the Palm to multiple PCs
(e.g. home and office), this might be useful.

> and a HoySync cable for PC.

Identical in function, but physically smaller.

>   I intend to use this in
> conjunction with my home FreeBSD PC, and I don't think I'll probably
> need any other comm for it.
>
> Suggestions as to what I oughta buy are needed.  What's the HotSync
> cable, is it supported by the palm pilot software in ports?

From what you've said, it sounds like you won't need anything other than what
comes in the box.  Grab pilot-link in ports, and you've got a lot of the
functionality of what comes with the 3Com Windoze software, and all without
leaving our favorite operating system!

Good luck...hope it works out as well for you as it has for me.

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_335620428P

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.2

iQCVAwUBNwlKS6jOOi0j7CY9AQGL8gQAlEkqWHY9KFwlnIBVxotZrHGvW09ak94a
v/la0SP7XMN1w/Rhk9szGy8z0uH/UoIWuK6fcqzrI0v9X0kOirWsVstGWiLn0kHO
3z9PjZwmUEwliVYpb4Jm3WEh2ZlJinvjaJ4CpvCWf9zV48LukaK5IghZwsoq+5dj
KMrcA1UNsfE=
=DMnV
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--==_Exmh_335620428P--