Date:      Sat, 17 Feb 2001 16:53:00 +0100
From:      Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: New GCC changes broken

On Sat, Feb 17, 2001 at 04:33:51PM +0100, Martin Blapp wrote:

> Did that, replaced /usr/libexec/elf/as with new one,
> now I have:
>
> cc -DLIBC_RCS -DSYSLIBC_RCS -I/usr/src/lib/libc/include
> -D__DBINTERFACE_PRIVATE -DINET6 -I/usr/src/lib/libc -DPOSIX_MISTAKE
> -I/usr/src/lib/libc/../libc/locale -DBROKEN_DES -DPORTMAP -DYP -DHESIOD
> -I/usr/src/lib/libc/i386 -c read.S -o read.o
> ld: unrecognized option `-x'

Oh my dear... maybe you'll have to replace libc too... I have just finished
the upgrade (so far no problems)  even my old (as in: before Feb 10) apps
work again as a result of the libc major downgrade. But I may have been
"lucky" because I have a slow machine, it takes about 6 hours to complete
an upgrade on it, so these sources are as of about 10am today your (and
mine) time... which looks like a good time to go back to. If you can link
programs now, I suggest you checkout sources as of today 10am CET and try
building it again. It at least worked for me (although I should have
removed the WITNESS_DDB option since it now features random drops to ddb
with lock order reversal errors, from where you can always continue...)

I have now:

FreeBSD fonix.hos.u-szeged.hu 5.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #8: Sat Feb
17 16:
09:13 CET 2001     root@fonix.hos.u-szeged.hu:/usr/src/sys/compile/FONIX
i386

Wish you best of luck!