Date:      Tue, 1 Nov 2016 19:55:51 -0600
From:      Alan Somers <asomers@freebsd.org>
To:        eddyraz <eddyraz.fl@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Problems with jail inside ZFS dataset

On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 5:05 PM, eddyraz <eddyraz.fl@gmail.com> wrote:

> Good Afternoon., I have A VPS with FreeBSD  in a dedicated server with OVH
> Hosting. Last week I installed FreeBSD 11, Ran buildworld after that Crea\
> ted a VM within a jail in /local/jails/ ZFS dataset
>
> While trying to start the VM gave an error that said it could not mount
> nullfs.
>
> I added this in /boot/loader.conf
>
> nullfs_mount=1
>
>   later the error changed to:
>
> Starting jails: cannot start jail  "haproxy":
> mount: .: Operation not supported by device
> jail: haproxy: /sbin/mount -t fdescfs . /local/jails/haproxy/dev/fd: failed
>
> Following this post in Internet
>
> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2014-August/079700.html
>
> I ran the patch that they advised to. and I found in
>
> http://pastebin.com/5t9zEzkV
>

> but while aplying the patch with
>
> patch /sys/fs/fdescfs/fdesc_vfsops.c sys_fs_fdescfs_fdesc_vfsop
>
> gives this error.
>
> ******************************************************************************************************
> Hmm...  Looks like a unified diff to me...
> The text leading up to this was:
>
> --------------------------
> |diff --git a/sys/fs/fdescfs/fdesc_vfsops.c b/sys/fs/fdescfs/fdesc_vfsops.c
> |index cb5e3c0..7193809 100644
> |--- a/sys/fs/fdescfs/fdesc_vfsops.c
> |+++ b/sys/fs/fdescfs/fdesc_vfsops.c
> --------------------------
> Patching file /sys/fs/fdescfs/fdesc_vfsops.c using Plan A...
> Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected!  Assume -R? [y] y
> Hunk #1 succeeded at 51 (offset 1 line).
> Hunk #2 failed at 79.
> No such line 241 in input file, ignoring
> Hunk #3 succeeded at 229 (offset -8 lines).
> 1 out of 3 hunks failed--saving rejects to
> /sys/fs/fdescfs/fdesc_vfsops.c.rej
> Hmm...  The next patch looks like a unified diff to me...
> The text leading up to this was:
> --------------------------
> |diff --git a/sys/kern/kern_jail.c b/sys/kern/kern_jail.c
> |index 2846eca..791723d 100644
> |--- a/sys/kern/kern_jail.c
> |+++ b/sys/kern/kern_jail.c
> --------------------------
> File to patch: /sys/kern/kern_jail.c
> Patching file /sys/kern/kern_jail.c using Plan A...
> Hunk #1 failed at 207.
> Hunk #2 failed at 224.
> Hunk #3 failed at 4247.
> Hunk #4 failed at 4403.
> 4 out of 4 hunks failed--saving rejects to /sys/kern/kern_jail.c.rej
> Hmm...  The next patch looks like a unified diff to me...
> The text leading up to this was:
>
> |diff --git a/sys/sys/jail.h b/sys/sys/jail.h
> |index a82a499..a01d665 100644
> |--- a/sys/sys/jail.h
> |+++ b/sys/sys/jail.h
>
> --------------------------
> File to patch: /sys/sys/jail.h
> Patching file /sys/sys/jail.h using Plan A...
> Hunk #1 failed at 228.
> 1 out of 1 hunks failed--saving rejects to /sys/sys/jail.h.rej
> done
> #

> [...]

ZFS appears to be unrelated to your problem.  It sounds like you're
trying to mount fdescfs from within a jail.  That's not allowed by
default.  Is your VPS itself a jail?  If so, you'll have to ask your
hosting provider to set allow.mount.fdescfs=1 in your jail config.  Or
are you trying to use nested jails?  If so, set that same parameter in
the config for your outer jail.

-Alan