Date:      Tue, 14 Apr 1998 10:23:38 -0700
From:      bmah@CA.Sandia.GOV (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        hja@netscape.com (Harvey Anderson)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fast File System & Symbolic Links

--==_Exmh_1500699210P

If memory serves me right, Harvey Anderson wrote:

> I'm looking for documentation that would show when BSD 4.2 was first
> released. there were features in BSD 4.2, namely symbolic links, that
> invalidate a software patent being asserted against us. in addition,
> where could I get a copy of BSD 4.2 and any related documentation. I
> looked at your site, which is great, but it focuses on 4.4. thanks for
> your help.

According to "The Design and Implementation of the 4.4BSD Operating System"
(McKusick, Bostic, Karels, and Quarterman), BSD 4.2 was released in 1984 (see
the chart on pp. 5-6).  However, it also states that "the dates given are
approximate".

(Actually, Chapter 1 of this book might be a good starting point for you.)

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_1500699210P

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.2

iQCVAwUBNTObmajOOi0j7CY9AQHGIQP/eFRSXM7HxPyOe9iMbbXoZjnJmQcdmoIM
AwYxeiyOm3FVXHKuPpqki4P6TB90319X3AbCjYNeLpKfD+r1EOEPxD0HJe7Tc6cp
T+JHZ5SvI1cbNLVKPIaeIF582VKn5HC5OOvnvpU9qdQKyu1x2fDNgDD0JWG9lQhS
KhCTSKy8RUs=
=Fr7R
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--==_Exmh_1500699210P--