Date:      Mon, 25 Feb 2002 21:59:41 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb@zabbadoz.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org, "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb@zabbadoz.net>
Subject:   Strangeness on 4.5-STABLE

Hi,

don't know if I am really right here because I cannot (yet) declare this
to be a rael "bug" but a "mystery" ? (sorry for cross-mailing too).

Ok, updated to latest 4.5-STABLE cvsup last Friday afternoon (GMT +0100
about 15:00). Made a buildworld and a new kernel and installed both, ran
mergemaster, rebooted started vlan, rebooted and worked on that system
for 48 hours building programs, making patches, compiling applications,
.... On sunday afternoon I just rebooted to make sure the system will
come up cleanly. It came up - no errors anyway BUT since
then I am not able to do a 'vi /var/log/messages' via either ssh or
telnet. I am not able to run a cvsup to get the latest sources, xbuffy
no longer comes up and my ssh session seems to "hang". "Hanging" is not
a problem of the network in this case but the screen just does not get
updated. I still can see network traffic via ssh running tcpdump.
While watching p.ex. the hanging vi /var/log/messages at the
maschine via screen and keyboard (where no problems can be seen) I
recognized that I also was able to close that hanging vi with :q! not
seeing what I was doing.  Really strange ?
uucp is still working - even over an ssh port forwarding. postfix
delivering mails fine via procmail. Mysql seems ok and apache too
but the squid refuses to answer anything. Well apache is not really ok
but only when it has to handle a short file. Large files never get
transmitted in total but get stuck. I still can do ftp from and to
the maschine via full 100 Mbit/s with the other hosts from that I am
not able to work with ssh on the machine. For anybbody who still thinks
it might be a network problem I also need to say that I already changed
the NIC from 3com to Intel. At the monent I did a telnet host, ps ax, cd /
and the ls -l just hang. Nothing more.

One bit that I could reproduce is:
telnet host
cd /usr/src/RELENG_4/LOGS
ls -l <always keeps hanging at the same line; tried 5 times.>

tried the same but only `ls` (no -l) afterwards and this is ok for
many times - tried about 20.

Working on the local console is - as said above - doing the same things
that otherwise fail is ok and no errors occure but it's a bit cold
there ;-)
If this wouldn't ne the case I might have tought about fs corruption or
s.th. like this.

What should I do ? I made a makeworld and build the kernel again,
rebootet and still those "hangs" :((

Last build before that last friday must have been
buildworld-20020113-2008.log.

Anybody any ideas ? Questions if you no need detailed input on anything:
I should have full build- and install logs... I am going to provide you
almost everything you ask for if it'll help to solve this.

Thanks in advance

56 69 73 69 74				http://www.zabbadoz.net/