Date:      Wed, 9 Oct 1996 22:49:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
To:        wb2oyc@cyberenet.net
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   re: FreeBSD - Linux

NOTE: Follow-ups should go to chat@freebsd.org...see headers

On Wed, 9 Oct 1996 wb2oyc@cyberenet.net wrote:

> >PPP hasn't ever been a
> >problem (except the iijppp config is a bit tricky at first.)
>
> I have to use 'term' mode.  It refuses to dial my ISP.  Once the
> session is established manually, it works fine.  The thruput may not
> be the same, but its close enough to not be an issue.

	Might want to post your ijppp config files under a different
subject to see if anyone can spot the problem here...

> >Console behavior
> >is pretty darned good under FreeBSD (I have heard complaints about the
>
> Really?  Not here.  On exiting 'X' its nuts.  Or is that the norm?

	Using what as a term type?  If I try the console using vt100,
yes...its completely nuts.  Using consXX (where XX == 25, 50, 60), it
works beautifully...

> The real truth is, Linux is good; very good.  And you're not as far
> ahead as you think you are.  Not by a long shot.

	At least from an end-users standpoint...about the only thing that
i've seen you argue about is minicom...and if I recall correctly, minicom
was designed under Linux. *shrug*

> But, I expected some on the list may be sensitive, maybe overly so, to
> any comparison.  And, if you go back to my original message on this,
> you'll see that I stated in plain English, that I did NOT consider ANY
> differences in the internals or architecture itself between the two.
> I'll say it again.  All I said was that these applications that work
> flawlessly on Linux, work poorly or not at all, on FreeBSD.  Period.
> I don't care a wit about the differences in the OS's themselves, and
> can't really talk about that since I don't have the expertise.  I don't
> care about the techno mumbo jumbo, and I said so.  My concern is about
> these few app's that work on one, and not the other.  Again, period...
> They both have their warts; they're Un*x.

	Ah, okay...so, let's qualify your above statement about us not
being as far ahead as we think we are...as far as being able to run
Linux-designed softare is concerned, we aren't as far ahead as we
thought...

Marc G. Fournier                                  scrappy@ki.net
Systems Administrator @ ki.net               scrappy@freebsd.org