Date:      Fri, 26 Jan 2001 14:02:41 +0300 (MSK)
From:      Ilya Martynov <m_ilya@agava.com>
To:        Alexander Matey <matey@cis.ohio-state.edu>
Cc:        <freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Aureal card sound driver stops working

AM> [..skip..]
AM>
AM> With as much details as you gave me, it looks like these nfs timeouts
AM> cause the application that has opened the device to die silently without
AM> closing the device properly.

XMMS haven't die. If this happens (lock of /dev/dsp) than I can see dialog
box telling me something about that it can't longer output sound (sorry I
don't remember this message exactly). However XMMS doesn't opens /dev/pcm
directly - it works via esd. I've not noticed core dumps of esd (in log
messages). I can be mistaken now since some time have passed but I'm almost
sure I've not seen it. Any anyway esd doesn't know anything about NFS. I'm
going to try to reproduce it with playing via XMMS mp3 from my local
filesystem. I belive that this problem is not caused by NFS timeouts.

AM> newpcm still thinks that the device is open and doesn't let you
AM> reopen it.
AM>
AM> It is not a driver that checks whether the device is busy, it is newpcm
AM> that tracks open/close requests and keeps the record on a higher level.

Another questions. Aureal Vortex 8810 is supposed to have four independent
chanels. Right? I've created additional pcm devices:

ls -l /dev/dsp /dev/dsp0*

lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  wheel         4 Dec  8 02:10 /dev/dsp -> dsp0
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   30,   3 Jan 24 21:29 /dev/dsp0
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   30, 0x00010003 Dec  8 02:11 /dev/dsp0.1
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   30, 0x00020003 Dec  8 02:11 /dev/dsp0.2
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   30, 0x00030003 Dec  8 02:11 /dev/dsp0.3
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   30, 0x00040003 Dec  8 02:11 /dev/dsp0.4

Before this problem with locking /dev/dsp is happen I do able to create four
applications that use these four chanels - I've checked it.

If it is a problem in newpcm because it haven't registered close request for
/dev/dsp, which is actually is same as /dev/dsp0.1 (is it right?) why I
can't use /dev/dsp0.2, /dev/dsp0.3 or /dev/dsp0.4? Once /dev/dsp becomes
locked they also become locked.

--
Ilya Martynov
AGAVA Software Company, http://www.agava.com