Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2001 21:52:29 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "'Scott Pilz'" <tech@ipad5.tznet.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, <tech@squid.tznet.com>
Subject:   RE: Mail Server & Adduser

As others have said your hardware is almost overkill.  However,
unlike what some others have said I don't believe that you can
go to 10 million users, at least not without modifying the
authentication system. /etc/password will only hold 65535 unique
uid numbers.

More importantly, make sure that with that many users that
you use the hash trick on /var/mail otherwise directory scans will kill
you.  To use it you have to compile popper with an option,
and replace /bin/mail with procmail, and compile procmail
with an option.  The binary tree trick breaks /var/mail into
subdirectories of

/var/mail/a/a
/var/mail/a/b
/var/mail/a/c
.
.
/var/mail/z/x
/var/mail/z/y
/var/mail/z/z

Users end up in the subdirectory that the first 2 letters of
their name is, ie: the mailbox for "sam" would end up in

/var/mail/s/a/sam

I'll leave it in your hands to investigate the source for both
procmail and popper to find out what those options actually are.
;-)