Date:      Thu, 20 Mar 1997 22:29:57 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@keystone.westminster.edu>
To:        "Richard J. Linane" <Typh0on@concentric.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Coping Files From MS-DOS to a BSD Partitian?

On Thu, 20 Mar 1997, Richard J. Linane wrote:
> I am wondering if anyone could help me with this as I am quite new BSD
> and UNIX....but learning.
>
> I have an unsupported CD-ROM Drive.
>
> I would like to install some of the programs in the Packages
> Distribution.
>
> The only choice I have to install from as a source is a DOS Partitian or
> from alot of floppies.
>
> I think it might intail the mounting of the MS-DOS partitian on the same
> drive.
> Do I need to mount the partitian to do this and if so how?
>
> Any help would be greatly appriciated and passed on to those who ask.
>
> Sincerly,
> Rich Linane
> Typh0on@concentric.net

First, I'm not sure that this message belongs on either the announce list
or the hackers list.
That said, the procedure's pretty easy.
I use FreeBSD2.1.6.
I have a directory, /dos, which I use to mount my DOS partition, and
floppies.
I use the mount_msdos command, but I imagine you could use mount -t msdos.
The format I use is:
mount_msdos -m 500 /dev/(whatever) /dos
the -m sets the mask to owner read/execute, so I don't accidentally screw
my filesystem; I've heard rumors that FreeBSD has no real problems
writing MSDOS filesystems, but I tend to stay on the safe side.
as for which device, it should just be the first partition of wd0 or sd0,
depending on whether you have an IDE or SCSI drive.
for instance, wd0s1/sd0s1, but you can alway experiment.
with the mask, you load it up as readonly, so you can't really damage
your system.
NOTE:   <VERY IMPORTANT!!!>
umount /dev/(whatever) as soon as you're done.
If your system crashes, (and maybe if it reboots, I'm not sure), while
your DOS partition is mounted, your BSD partition may get quite screwed up.
This has not, of course happened to me (really, it hasn't); it's not as
if I mounted my DOS partition, crashed the system, and it truncated
/etc/passwd, /etc/master.passwd, and all the backups of both, or anything
like that, forcing me to reinstall my entire system.  Of course not.
Fair warning?

Hope it helps!!

|FreeBSD is good.      FreeBSD is our friend.     UNIX is our god.|
*Micro$oft is bad.                      Micro$oft causes problems.*
|"I hate quotes in signature files"            :-}  MAtthew Fuller|
*fullermd@keystone.westminster.edu                  FreeBSD junkie*
|http://keystone.westminster.edu/~fullermd     Westminster College|