Date:      Wed, 30 May 2018 14:00:36 -0400
From:      James E Keenan <jkeenan@pobox.com>
To:        Greg Kennedy <kennedy.greg@gmail.com>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: search.cpan.org is going away (replaced by MetaCPAN)

On 05/30/2018 01:53 PM, Greg Kennedy wrote:
> Found this news item today relating to Perl:
> https://log.perl.org/2018/05/goodbye-search-dot-cpan-dot-org.html
>
> In short, search.cpan.org is being retired on June 25, with the
> replacement MetaCPAN website to take its place.  At that time they
> will transparently redirect all URL requests to comparable MetaCPAN
> pages.
>
> FreeBSD porting style usually requires that the URL for Perl modules
> (in pkg-descr) be set to something like...
>
> #####
> WWW: http://search.cpan.org/dist/CPAN-Testers-Common-Client/
> #####
>
> While these links will (theoretically) continue working, we should
> think about a mass find-replace in all "*/p5-*/pkg-descr" URL fields
> to point to new MetaCPAN URLs.  Also, the Porter's Handbook / portlint
> / etc would need to be updated to recommend using MetaCPAN URLs
> instead of the existing search.cpan.org links.
>
> I didn't see any other discussions on this in the past couple months
> of the mailinglist archive so I thought I'd raise the issue here :)
>
> -Greg

Gret, thank you for calling attention to this.

My hunch is that once search.cpan.org has been retired, we should take a
sample of the URL fields in the pkg-descr field and verify the links
they actually resolve to (as distinct from what they are currently
*expected* to resolve to).  At that point, a mass find-replace becomes
feasible and testable.

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan