Date:      Mon, 1 Oct 2001 21:34:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
To:        David Kirchner <davidk@accretivetg.com>
Subject:   Re: file permission question

On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, David Kirchner wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, f.johan.beisser wrote:
>
> Running a file integrity check such as tripwire is also a good idea - as
> long as you run tripwire from a read-only floppy or something similar that
> is. :-)

excellent point, one that i totally flaked on. although, tripwire is only
semi-preventative, it's more of a manner of making sure that someone has
been able to change either binaries or directories on the server.

sadly, it can't help with changed files.

there are some excellent documents on 'hardening' your OS-of-choice out
there, including some on hardening FreeBSD. a quick google search should
turn some up.

i would suggest reading some of the infomation available on
SecurityFocus.com's site.

-- jan

  http://caustic.org/~jan                      jan@caustic.org
   "if my thought-dreams could be seen..
       "they'd probably put my head in a gillotine"
	     -- Bob Dylan