Date:      Mon, 5 Nov 2001 16:16:31 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Christopher Sean Hilton <chris@vindaloo.com>
Cc:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, Sean Noonan <snoonan@snoonan.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PROB:  building ports when /usr/ports is a symbolic link?

Christopher Sean Hilton <chris@vindaloo.com> types:
> On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 09:18:14AM -0600, Mike Meyer wrote:
> > I do the following:
> >
> > 1) Export /usr/ports ro, and mount that on /usr/ports on all machines.
> >
> > 2) Export /share rw, and mount that as /share on all machines.
> >
> > 3) On each machine, set DISTDIR=/share/distfiles, PACKAGES=/share/pkg/<plat>,
> >    and WRKDIRPREFIX to a local directory in /etc/make.conf.
> >
> > 4) All machines then have access to the same /usr/ports tree and the
> >    same set of distfiles. Each machine can then build independently of
> >    all the other machines. If I want to share a build, I do "make package"
> >    and all the machines of that platform type get access to the
> >    package via /share/pkg/<plat>.
> >
> > 	<mike
>
> Thanks, this is an awesome.  This is basically what I do with OpenBSD and it
> works like a champ I'd wondered how to do it with FreeBSD though. I do have
> a question. Do you occasionally run into ports that won't build like this.
> My basic setup before was a ro export of /usr/ports, DISTDIR=/tmp,
> WRKDIRPREFIX=/tmp. This way you could mount the latest ports directory and
> the build would happen in the remote to the nfs server's /tmp directory. I
> discovered however that /usr/ports/devel/py-omniorb would not build this
> way. Instead I had to make package on the NFS server and then the remote
> machine could run pkg_add.

I've found one port that didn't build this way because it ignored
WRKDIRPREFIX. It's since been fixed.

You may be running into problems because of the shared
WRKDIRPREFIX. If you build it on one machine, it won't build on any of
the others because the work directory will show it as already having
been built.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.