Date:      Mon, 5 Nov 2001 19:55:43 -0600 (CST)
From:      Wm Brian McCane <root@mccons.net>
To:        <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Strange Behaviour

I have a machine that is running current (kinda old Sep 13).  I am working
on upgrading it to more current, to see if it fixes my problem, but in the
interim, I am seeing the following:

	1) P3-866, 768M, 3xUDMA100 IDE disks (various sizes),
		2 NICs (trusted/DMZ)
	2) Current 5.0 dated 2001-09-13
	3) PostgreSQL 7.1.3

I recently converted my most profitable website to run using PostgreSQL
instead of MySQL because my other websites (w/psql) had better performance
characteristics.  After I got it converted, everything seemed MUCH FASTER.
Great!  Let's go get a soda (i don't like beer ;).  Watched software for 2
days, off and on, no problems.  This morning, my machine had an average
load over 25.  But the odd thing is, I am not having any performance
problems, either with my websites or a SSH connection.  At one point top
said I had 47 programs RUNNING, 62 sleeping, 1 mutex.  Even
stranger, this machine is running Seti@Home, niced to 19, and it is
still getting CPU time.

Anyway, with load levels that high my pager has gone through a set of
batteries since this morning.  I can understand if I had a runaway app how
the load could get so high, but I don't understand why the system would
"feel" normal when I use it.

Any ideas?
- brian

He rides a cycle of mighty days, and \ Wm Brian and Lori McCane
represents the last great schizm among\ McCane Consulting
the gods. Evil though he obviously is, \ root@bmccane.maxbaud.net
he is a mighty figure, this father of   \ http://bmccane.maxbaud.net/
my spirit, and I respect him as the sons \ http://www.sellit-here.com/
of old did the fathers of their bodies.   \ http://recall.maxbaud.net/