Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 2003 10:39:38 -0800
From:      Tod Oace <tod@quay.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Freeze from pppd

I'm hoping someone can help me debug the following problem (a fix would
be welcome too :) ).

I'm using mgetty to receive faxes and to accept a dialup ppp
connection. I used to use something called ppplogin to handle the
incoming ppp but decided to switch to pppd with FreeBSD 5.0 because my
ppplogin is old and I don't even remember where I got it from. So now
in /usr/local/etc/mgetty+sendfax/login.config I have:

/AutoPPP/ -     a_ppp   /usr/sbin/pppd auth -chap +pap login debug

The problem I'm having is that when an incoming ppp connection attempt
is made my FreeBSD 5.0 machine freezes up. I can't even get to the
debugger with Ctrl-Alt-Esc like I normally can. Here are the last few
/var/log/ppp.log entries from before rebooting (entries are lost after
reboot):

Mar 19 10:00:46 oasis pppd[620]: sent [LCP TermReq id=0x2 "User
request"]
Mar 19 10:00:46 oasis pppd[620]: Modem hangup, connected for 1 minutes
Mar 19 10:00:46 oasis pppd[620]: Connection terminated, connected for 1
minutes
Mar 19 10:00:47 oasis pppd[620]: Exit.

I probably don't have /etc/ppp/ configured quite right yet but I expect
I'll be able to figure that out later. Right now I'm hoping for help
with the system freeze. Maybe a remote gdb? Or maybe it's because I'm
using a USB keyboard? (Have atkbd disabled.)

System is current as of last night. I cvsup'd and did the steps 1 - 9
of /usr/src/Makefile (kernel stuff, world stuff, mergemaster). I'm
using a custom kernel which is almost GENERIC except for addition of
ipfw and a couple other tweaks. Diff available on request. Problem is
still there. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks...

--
Tod Oace <tod@quay.com>