Date:      Thu, 31 Jul 2014 13:10:01 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        Andrea Venturoli <ml@netfence.it>
Cc:        portmgr@freebsd.org, FreeBSD Ports ML <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>, Bryan Drewery <bdrewery@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Strange pkg_deinstall behaviour with pkgng

On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 11:59 AM, Andrea Venturoli <ml@netfence.it> wrote:

> On 07/30/14 01:43, Bryan Drewery wrote:
>
> Hello.
>

>  Yes, pkg now requires -f to have the old behavior.
>>>

> No, it does not.
> "-f" is the old "-f"; "-R" is the old "-R"; no way it can behave now like
> it did before when no such option was passed.
>

>  I have released a quick hack to workaround this by passing in -f.
>>

> Thanks, but this is not quite it.
> Aside from being IMHO a very bad idea, this is still different from the
> old behavior and will deinstall many more ports, leaving several
> unsatisfied dependencies (just tryed it now).
> Again, at the very minumum, the user should be warned of the POLA
> violation.
>

>  bye & Thanks
>         av.
>
> Yes, something is very broken here and adding '-f' is a very wrong
work-around!

First, the simple addition of '-f' means that it unconditionally will
delete the package while the old behavior was the same, it is very
different from the old 'pkg delete' with no -f. That one would delete the
package if there were no dependencies and error out with information on the
dependent port if there were any.

Worse, it i not working correctly. In the recent libevent case the only
port deleted was tmux when at least firefox and libxul were still linked to
the old .so file. So it fails to do either what it used to do or what it
was supposed to do in 1.3. Not sure what might have been wrong. I'm
guessing that libevent did not list firefox and libxul as depending on it.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com