Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 2004 16:24:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Gary D. Margiotta" <gary@tbe.net>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   3Ware Escalade 5800 max drive size

Well, I'm thinking of picking up a couple of these controllers, since
they're pretty cheap.

It's going to be running under FreeBSD (4.9 or 5.x) at home, for mass
storage for video clips and stuff lke that, so I'm not too concerned about
overall speed.

However, the biggest question I have, is how big of a drive will the
controllers support?  I've been searching for the past few days, and
haven't been able to find anything about drive sizes and limitations.

A part of the FAQ on their site says that all of their controllers support
48-bit addressing, but after reading the FAQ, it appeared that it was
geared towards the 7000 and 8000 series controllers, so I took it with a
grain of salt.

Is anyone using the 5000-series with any drives larger than 120GB, or
knows if they will support it (and if not, where does it start, i.e. do I
need to go to the 6000 or 7000 series before it'll recognize a 160GB drive
fully)?

Thanks,

-Gary

Running Windows is kinda like playing blackjack:
User stays on success, reboots on failure