Date:      Sun, 9 Sep 2001 09:25:07 -0600
From:      Mike Porter <mupi@mknet.org>
To:        "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, "ann kok" <annkok2001@yahoo.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: cable modem

On Sunday 09 September 2001 01:58 am, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> Do you know for a fact that the IP number they are assigning is a public
> number?  It could be that she is getting a private number that's behind
> a translator.

I don't know for certain in their case, but I know for certain in mine, with
@home.  I can (well, I could before I disabled it) telnet to my IP from a
different, outside network, and be connected to my computer.  Also ping, etc.
 And the reverse-dns in IRC correctly identifies to my hostname.  When i use
my laptop, behind natting from my pc, it shows the name/address of the box
doing the nat.

I think the business of availabe ip4 addresses is somewhat exaggerated:  just
because all or most of the available addresses have been assigned, doesn't
mean that all of them are actually in use.  Especially at any given time,
since for r-dns to work, an ISP must assign an IP to every modem in its pool.
 But of all the modem pools in all the world, how many sit idle at any given
time?

mike