Date:      Sat, 6 Mar 1999 22:23:00 +0100
From:      Stefan Esser <se@mi.uni-koeln.de>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        Tom Torrance at home <tom@tomqnx.com>, scsi@freebsd.org, Stefan Esser <se@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ncr timeout w/ RELENG_3

On 1999-03-01 20:39 -0600, David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net> wrote:
> I wonder how much affect the NCR BIOS has on a running FreeBSD system?
> Could it initialize something funny? Or load misbehaving code in the
> SCSI chip? Am thinking if there is a BIOS upgrade for your board then
> this might be the time to give it a try.

The driver used to initialize just about any NCR register (killing
any effect the BIOS might have had ;-) but does now preserve some
of the settings. But there really should not be much of a difference,
whether you boot from one version of SDMS or another.

> My Asus SC875 has Symbios's 4.0.11 BIOS, but there is a 4.3 (?)
> available for the download. *Had* to apply that upgrade to cards at work
> to get them to work in another Asus motherboard.

I understand that to mean that the BIOS update was required to make
the system recognize the SCSI chip and load even the primary boot
block ?

If there is any system where the SCSI BIOS version makes a difference
to the running kernel, please let me know!

Regards, STefan