Date:      Wed, 2 Jun 1999 18:11:49 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Wayne Cuddy <wayne@crb-web.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: UNIX98 style pty

In the last episode (Jun 02), Wayne Cuddy said:
> Ok, maybe it is not a UNIX98 thing.  What I am looking for is more
> than 256 ptys.  I would prefer the behavior that dynamically
> allocates ptys in /dev/pty/ at run-time.  The latest linux kernel has
> this behavior.

You can have more than 256 ptys; the problem is what to name them.  You
can easily get 384 ptys by extending the current scheme slightly (using
/dev/tty[tuTU]*; /dev/ttyv* is syscons so we hit our limit with this
naming scheme).  Edit /dev/MAKEDEV and /usr/src/lib/libutil/pty.c.

Actually, you could edit them to populate /dev/pty/* if you really
want.  Leave symlinks from /dev/tty[pqrsPSRQ]* to /dev/pty/* for legacy
apps that don't use openpty().

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com