Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 2000 13:05:51 -0500
From:      Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Wavelan base stations (Re: Aviator 2.4)

Scott Hazen Mueller <scott@zorch.sf-bay.org> probably said:
> I have now, and can't make them go under Win98 either.  I think one
> or both of the radios is toast.  I think it's time to give up on
> these and go ask Santa for a Lucent gateway kit for xmas...

My, very strong, advice is; don't touch the lucent residential gateway
with a bargepole.

It's the same guts as an apple airport, but with partly broken firmware
and crippled configuration software.

The firmware on the lucent gateway forces the first 6 characters of
the network name to seemingly random hex digits (not related to the
mac address or the id of the unit) and the software won't let you use
90% of the unit's features and won't even let you change the SNMP
community string.

The Apple Airport has a free configurator (that does also work with
the lucent gateway, apart the broken network name problem), doesn't
have broken firmware, the extra features of the unit (mac address
filtering, etc) are supported by apple and it's even normally
cheaper. It looks cooler, too :)

I've played with both pretty extensively and survey says; buy an
airport.

P.

--
pir                  pir@pir.net                    pir@net.tufts.edu