Date:      Wed, 21 Apr 1999 00:20:53 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        barry@lustig.com
Cc:        sthaug@nethelp.no, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI Failure during Amanda Backup  (Unexpected busfree)

As Barry Lustig wrote ...
> What is odd is that it used to work.  The errors only started on 4/3.  Were
> there any CAM changes around that time that might have this effect?
>
> barry

No that I know, Ken or Justin might be able to give you better info.

But anything that (for example) makes things go faster on the bus
could trigger problems. This is what debugging SCSI problems makes
so interesting :/

That is also the reason for my suggestion to play around a bit with the
SCSI config.

> On Tue, 20 Apr 1999, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> >  As sthaug@nethelp.no wrote ...
> >  I am using all 3 SCSI connectors on the motherboard. The 50 pin connector
> >
> >  Wrong. This is one SCSI bus as far as I can see. SCSI buses are linear
> >  things, not star shaped. And they have only 2 terminators, each on every
> >  end of the bus.
> >
> >  What you may be missing here is that the ASUS P2B-DS has the Adaptec
> >  AIC 3860 bridge (as an option), which gives you an electrically isolated
> >  single-ended bus. So in this case, it should be possible to use all three
> >  connectors.
> >
> >  Right, that definitely makes a difference. I don't know all the Asus
> >  boards ;-)
> >
> >  For troubleshooting I still like to suggest to go back to as simple
> >  a SCSI config as possible.
> >
> >  Groeten / Cheers,
> >  Wilko

Groeten / Cheers,