Date:      Sat, 07 Aug 1999 01:47:35 +0300
From:      Iani Brankov <ian@bulinfo.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   The new samba performance

Hi,

I posted that to 'questions', but got no reply.
I wouldn't like to get 'hackers' bored, but I think this port is
important for many of us (until win exists :).
I tried to tune the 'smb.conf', but couldn't raise the write speed
even a bit.
I only like to know is there something in the kernel causing this
extrelmely slow throughput or I miss something.

I upgraded to samba-2.0.5b some days ago and the performance while
writing to the smb server fell about 4 times (from ~300kb/s to
~70kb/s). While the read performance left almost the same (~800kb/s)
on 10Base2 net.

I couldn't find enough information browsing the samba mailing
archives.

Does anybody have the same problem, and most important - has anybody
solved this (or similar) problem on FreeBSD 3.2?

What read/write speed do you reach on 10/100 mbit ethernets between
samba and win98 clients?

Thanks in advance.

--iani