Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 2014 14:07:07 -0400
From:      Rayson Ho <raysonlogin@gmail.com>
To:        Brian Kim <briansan24@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Setting up a UNIX cluster

(I was involved in the FreeBSD port of Grid Engine, which is used by
the "Fellowship" cluster documented in the paper.)

The paper documents the experience in setting up a FreeBSD cluster for
High-Performance Computing & High-Throughput Computing. The cluster
runs parallel jobs that use MPI.

I believe for your use-case, your students are not developing HPC
jobs. So you don't really need to set up all the software like Grid
Engine, MPI, PXE boot, Ganglia that's mentioned in that paper.

Rayson

http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net/
http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net/GridEngine/GridEngineCloud.html