Date:      Fri, 16 Jun 2006 11:42:29 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: MFC of socket/protocol reference improvements

I'm opposed to this kind of change on principle. The issue of subtle but
incompatible changes to the API within a major release branch has come up
before as one of the reasons that vendors find it difficult/uninteresting to
support FreeBSD. With our new shorter release cycles, I think we need to
draw a line in the sand and declare unambiguously that the APIs will NOT
change within a release, and then live (and learn) with the consequences.

If these (or any other) changes become so compelling that we feel the
userbase needs to have them ASAP, I would suggest that this would be
justification to move up the release cycle for 7.x, not to break faith in 6.x.

Doug