Date:      Thu, 5 Nov 1998 13:46:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mike Newell <mnewell@newell.arlington.va.us>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Getting VAT To work on Libretto

I'm trying to get VAT to work on a Libretto.  I did the standard list scan
thing and saw that there were lots of other messages with the same sort of
problem, but the searcher didn't find any response messages.  :-(  Hope
this isn't a faq, but...

I installed a clean FreeBSD 2.2.7 install (I tried to install 3.0 but the
installation would not work and I ran out of debug time).  I then
installed Luigi's snd kit "snd980607.tgz" and built the kernel.  After
doing the MAKEDEV and rebooting and twiddling some stuff (I had to do the
PnP approach; configuring the pcm0 device "normally" didn't work) I'm now
able to cat .au files to /dev/audio and all works just fine.

Unfortunately vat doesnt' work.  The vi meters don't move and I get no
audio.  If I try generating local test tones from within vat I still get
nothing.  The only indicator I get is the message "How strange...
mss_intr with no reason!" when I start vat.

There's a list message from Mark Ganzer back in April on this subject, but
no response that I can find.   Can anyone tell me what I'm doin' wrong?
Is there a page out there that describes how to get it working (if not,
I'm willin' to type... :-)

Much obliged,

Mike

| Mike Newell                          | The opinions expressed herein      |
| Affiliation:                         | are mine.  You can take them or    |
| Address:                             | leave them.  Flames to /dev/null.  |